Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Shed Question

On Friday, October 10, 2014 8:53:17 AM UTC-7, Casper wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the wood doors on my shed. I am going

with the same materials, except I am chainging the hinges.

I am replacing this style (...) With this style hinge (looks like photo)...

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Nation...words=t+hinges

The depicted hinge has two fingers /one finger interleave, so there's only ONE point
of pressure holding weight. Typical exterior doors have three/two interleave,
which means two points of pressure, and use three hinges.

Shed doors typically open outward, so the hinge will be out in weather, but
otherwise the requirements are similar (take the same wind/weight loads).
I'd think about upping the hinges to four from three, or using a different
design. And, I'd try mortising the hinges into the frame (so one set of screws is
protected from weather), even if the door connection is to be bolted-through-the-face.