Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default If a thread takes months, is it better to stay on the samethread?

micky wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 20:44:48 -0400:

In one group, I sort so they show up in the order they were retrieved,
no threading. This makes it easier to see every post, but I don't read
them by thread, and that's not as good.

I do the opposite, which is to sort by thread by default, but, if I know,
in a long thread, that I need to find a recent post, I can sort
unthreaded by date. But I rarely do that unless I'm looking for something
I know was posted.

I also automatically mark the entire thread read, the moment I exit,
which means that only new threads show up in bold, so, that in reality, I
only see new threads or a marker that an older thread was updated.

I see almost everyone does it differently than I do, which changes what I
would do for a thread that takes months. Thanks for the details.