Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Refilling hot water boiler help!

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 06:44:02 +0000, Scout
wrote:

I drained my boiler (Utica gas boiler from '85 with Fill-Trol expansion
tank) in order to reinstall two radiators. After paying to have the
radiators attached I can't afford to pay to have the pro's fill it. Where
do I find the valve to fill the boiler and/or how do I manually fill it?
There is no knob or on/off valve right by the boiler, but there is what I
THINK is a safety/backflow thing. I can add pics if that will help. The
gas and electric are both off and the radiators were already bled.

Where was the water turned of when you drained the boiler? There is a
feed valve in the line at some point, usually within reach of the
boiler. Trace the line back, find the valve, open it.

If the radiators were bled, chances are the water was turned back on
already. How else can you bleed them? You can't let the air out
unless you let the water in.

There will still be a bit of air in the line, but that will expel over
time and the fill valve will let some water in as needed.