Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Tomato deluge

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:22:31 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 19:13:00 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

San Marzano

You may know I grow A LOT of tomatoes. This is acutally a whole line
up of varieties:
http://www.sanmarzanotomatoes.org/varieties.html

We were down to only 150 plants this year, I told Milady to try the
San Marzano Redorta in our high tunnel next year. They look vigorous
enough to not need grafting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_grafting

Wow, do you do tomato grafting yourself? That's interesting.

BTW, grafting apple trees was the first thing I was ever allowed to do
with a sharp knife. My grandfather produced ornamental apple trees
with five or more varieties, and he taught me how to do slip grafts
when I was about five years old.

He saddle-grafted the stocks of crab apples as a base for the
ornamentals. They were very popular from the 1930s through the '50s.

Yep, been doing all my own grafting. There's a method where you splice
both plants together, then cutoff after the graft has healed that is
quite easy. I'm sure its on you tube.

I'm sure I've grafted 10,000 apple trees over the years.

Karl