Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shed Question

On 10/10/2014 10:53 AM, Casper wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the wood doors on my shed. I am going
with the same materials, except I am chainging the hinges.

I am replacing this style hinge (not exact match but close)...
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hardwa...anley+t+hinges

With this style hinge (looks like photo)...
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Nation...words=t+hinges

Instead of screwing the hinges in place, I plan to bolt them in place.
Currently there are three hinges on each of the two doors, which
brings up a question ... Can I go with two hinges or do I still need
three per door?

Originally I was going to replace the enitre doorway with a double
steel door/frame but the price of the door alone would triple the
cost. Instead I opted to replace with same wood but lose some of the
decorative cross members (water seeps in too much) and better hinges.
I think once it is primed, painted and caulked, it should last longer
than the originals, which have lasted 19 years.

I am also replacing the hasp and inner door bolt-lock with slightly
heavier and longer galvanized versions. The original cheap bolt-lock
was never really long or strong enough to keep the one door closed.
Any other tips or suggestions welcome. I want this to last me at least
another ten years and I think the rest of the shed can do that easily.

`Casper

Buy the extra heavy ones - looks like the pin in the hinge is sloppy.
If it is a look alike and sloppy, then the door will sag or worse.
http://www.amazon.com/National-Hardw...RMWFFYT VMZD4

or
http://www.amazon.com/National-Hardw...W5SV3N2 VSG99

Spend the 15 or 20 on each and you will never look back.

Martin