Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some Useful FACTS About Global Warming and Climate Change

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 06:39:18 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 17:30:38 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I'm sure being mown down by a pyroclastic cloud would rate high on
the
Suckage List, too.

http://www2.brevard.edu/reynoljh/italy/corpsecasts.htm

Seen the 2014 Pompei movie yet? It was fun, but I hated the
ending...

The dramatized fictionalizations in most historical movies are
annoying and distracting when I've read the book.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pompeii.htm

Wow, I had no idea they had eyewitnesses to that eruption! Cool.
It looks worth reading.

Yes, distracting, especially when they base the entire movie on a mere
ten pages out of the book, right? g

"Pearl Harbor" was the worst. It's a good thing I didn't see it in a
theater.

PH was a good movie, but I didn't watch it to find anything close to
historical honesty. It was just a movie. Remember back when
directors and producers had moral codes, and how they tried to film
them historically correct, even hiring special historians for that
task? I can't believe that is no longer happening, but after trying
to watch an hour of teevee the other night in my hotel room, I
remembered what it had all turned into. Truth, justice, and honesty
are not to be found anywhere on any screen any more, it seems.
"Buy our new Oil-Free Oil of Olay Today! It's slicker'n snot!" //
"Take Shrimpzilla Now, and let your pecker think it's a humpback!" //
"Can't sleep at night? Take our new Downer/Upper dose. One tablet lets
you get a good night's sleep and speeds you up in the morning!" //
"Did Podunk's RectumRite ruin your ass? Call our attorneys to help
you kick theirs!" //
"Drink SugarAid Mega, now with more sugar -and- caffeine!" //

Less than an hour reminded me why I entirely gave up TV.

"Gettysburg" was an exception, partly because the army of reenactors
knew the battles and wouldn't perform them inaccurately.

Yeah, they're no Hollyweird Whores.

With novels I can see how and understand why they simplified the film
to skip over exposition and details that wouldn't easily translate to
images and dialog. For example in the book of "ET" the dog dreamed of
hamburger bushes and ET had a huge crush on the mother. The book

Au contraire, mon ami. Didja see the movie "What Women Want"?
The imagery and dialog in that was just hilarious.

"Stalingrad" is vastly more complex than the film, which dramatized
only a few pages of it.

Luckily for us, it's easier for them to translate wildly fantastic
ideas into images and dialog. I'm having fun watching the DVDs from
Marvel Comics. Iron Man, Thor, & Agents of Shield are all just great
fun, while being wonderful escapes from the daily grind.

Then again, those concepts are a bit easier to grok and script than
the war days of Stalingrad.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.