Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tomato deluge

On 10/10/2014 11:58 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I do grow basil from my own seeds, particularly Thai sweet basil, for
which I think I now have a superior, well-selected strain. But I gave
up on saving seeds for tomatoes. After seeing what's happened to some
old cultivars, like the original Rutgers from the 1920s (developed
originally for Campbell's Soup), I've decided I don't have enough
lifetime left to fool with selecting and cultivating my own strain.
I'm sticking with hybrids.

We just dried a big bunch and that turned
out well. Not all the optimal varieties for drying but... And, have
developed a good recipe for tomato/onion pie!

I made one of those last year. 'Loved it.

My basil grows lie weeds! I make a bunch of pesto, too bad the pine
nuts are so costly, I have yet to find a substitute I like as much. I
tried shallots for two years and I give up.