Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Tomato deluge

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:26:07 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 10/10/2014 5:40 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 20:47:01 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:53:10 PM UTC-7, slow Eddy continued to show why why I'm easily able to control him:

Ramblings of a pompous, blowhard snipped

Nothing to respond to.

Then why do you keep responding, Jon?

This is the only human interaction that Jon gets. He's like a dog that
prefers getting a beating than being ignored. But, even his tormentors
get bored quickly.

It's weird. Jon tells us that the Usenet is dead, and for losers, then
he pops in here to slander half of the members. That boy needs better
drugs or more couch time.

Next year I think my tomato patch will have a billion volunteers. The
dogs have a taste for the cherry variety and have spread digested and
undigested fruit everywhere.

Good luck with that. The vaieties I usually grow, except for one
heirloom (Jersey Devils), are F1 hybrids. The re-seeds from F1 hybrids
don't breed true; typically, they're lousy.

I do grow basil from my own seeds, particularly Thai sweet basil, for
which I think I now have a superior, well-selected strain. But I gave
up on saving seeds for tomatoes. After seeing what's happened to some
old cultivars, like the original Rutgers from the 1920s (developed
originally for Campbell's Soup), I've decided I don't have enough
lifetime left to fool with selecting and cultivating my own strain.
I'm sticking with hybrids.

We just dried a big bunch and that turned
out well. Not all the optimal varieties for drying but... And, have
developed a good recipe for tomato/onion pie!

I made one of those last year. 'Loved it.

--
Ed Huntress