Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Homobase

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

and why few suicides use hanging if something else is availible

In fact the majority are that way.

http://lostallhope.com/suicide-stati...ethods-suicide

But therre's no way of stoping people hanging themselves is there.
You can;t make ropes over a foot in lengh illegal can you.
So you try to find other methods.

All irrelevant to what is the most common way to suicide.

which is irrelivent to why they decided to stop selling asprin and the
like in large quantities to joe public ask you GP or chemist they know.

I didn't dispute that, I JUST commented on that claim of yours now at the
top.

as do those who do it via their car exhaust.

if they have a car in a convienent place.

And have a very old car.

so that could explian the 2% for all gases.

And the change made to the gas supplied to houses.

Not sure that's true,

Corse it is. The change from town gas to natural gas
meant that you couldn't suicide that way anymore.

they did not change the gas suply to
all house in order to reduce suicides,

No one said they did.

they added something to make the gas
smell making leaks easier to detect.

Which is irrelevant if you choose to kill yourself that way.

10X that many choose drugs

Interesting that I couldn't find much in the way
of the detail on exactly what drugs they did use.

That;s true although most don;t chose herion to comite
suicide by, but that may well end up killing them.
I DO NOT believe peaches geldof attempted suicide.

They are first when it comes to thinhgs you can avoid,

That wasn't what you said originally.

What I said was they won;lt allow you to buy large
quanaties of asprin and this was because of suicides.

That isnt what is still at the top of the quoting.

it's just that they arent recorded unless they
are serious and get reproted to the police.

http://lostallhope.com/suicide-stati...ethods-suicide

I still DO NOT believe the above site.
How do you suffocate yourself to death ?

Those bags those into euthanasia have been into for a long
time now. You put it over your head and its got a thing that
goes around your neck to get a decent seal there.

can you show a link to an incident where this actually happene din
the UK and where yuo can buy such things. I'd like a pack of 10 ;-)

There is nothing special about them, just a bag large enough
and something to wrap around the neck, a strip of cloth is fine
and so is packing tape or a large zip tie or some string.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bag

The FACT is that the reason you can't buy jars of 100
asprin is because of suicides and accidental overdoses.

Even that is a very dubious proposition given that there are very
few countrys that ban the sale of that many aspirins at one time.

Ask the medical profession in the UK about sales in the UK.

No point, no one disputed that they are banned there.

What is being discussed is whether it makes any sense to ban them.

No other country is that stupid.

There's no ban on me buying too much rope or a ban on buying
too many pillows in argos in case I try to suffocate myslef.
There's no ban on knif buying( other than age restrictions)

Because those bans just arent practical.

Exactly it's pretty easy to tell companies that they
can;t sell bottles of 100 asprin/paracetomol.

And that is pointless because its trivial to buy 5 packs of 20 instead.

There is a ban on what used to be used to kill yourself with drugs wise.

Laudanum ?

Nope, barbiturates etc.

There is also a ban on poisons like cyanide that used
to be used for suicide most obviously by the nazis too.

It's because it's leathal and has little use that for the general public.

Duh.

Essentially because there is no real downside to those bans.

There's little downside to not being able to buy 100 paracetomol , but
I was stoped from buying 3 packets of headache pills in the supermarket.

I wasn't.

The ban on aspirins is completely silly,

It's NOT a ban on Asprins any more than a 70MPH speed limit is a ban on
driving.

you cant kill yourself with too many aspirins

you can.
DO yy know about teh LD50 where 50% of teh population will die
from taking more than 1mg of pacetomol per 1Kg of body wieght.

Paracetamol is not aspirin.

The average pill is about 300mg well my ones are. a pack of 10 is =
3grams.

and its completely trivial to buy them from say 5
shops if you are stupid enough to try that anyway.

Yes it is, but by that tome most have 'calmed'
down or changed their mind in that time,

You don't know that.

thats the whole point.

No other country agrees on that.

Aquiring asuffecient quantity and having to talk to people
has the effect of calming or re-analising the situation.

Bull****.

They've even painted yellow lines on teh underground station platforms,
this is because peole are stupid and they NEED to go given limits,
but those lines don;t stop anyone from commiting suicide there
aim is to educate the stupid and make them THINK, also make
them THINK accident can happen and if you're balancing on
the edge of a cliff or station you can fall or be pushed.

Nothing to do with suicide.

because they don;t think of such things as being painful.