Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default we do wonder off topic

On 10/08/2014 10:26 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Todd wrote:
On 10/08/2014 07:19 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Agree with everything you said. Don't forget we no longer get good
vegetables and fruits in the supermarket. It is usually picked before
maturity so it can be shipped thousands of miles.

Or it has been changed so the skin is tough and there is no taste.
Like the
tomatoes we get around here. Even many of the local ones are tough
and not
much taste the farmers sell in the local stores.

Hi Ralph,

1+
A lot of the stuff has been hybridized to lay flat and
to withstand being picked green. YUK!!!

I have a theory. People don't buy produce because
it tastes like crap.

When I grow it myself or buy local, the stuff is
very tasty. First batch on local organic carrots
I bought stunk my car up so bad it was everything I
could do to not stop the car and devour them! (Farmer
told me later he preferred the term "aroma". Huh?)
Since when did carrots have a (pleasant) smell!

-T

Hi,
Even organic banana tastes better and easy on stomach. odays
salt/fat/sugar laden processed food stuff is just name sake food.
On top of that irridation, GMO, hybridizing, etc., Oh, NO way.
They don't care about nutritional value, only cares about looking good,
longer shelf life, unnatural taste numbing out taste bud.

Heard about experiment once done about Kellog's cereal in a box?
When it was given to hungry mouse, they were munching the box, not the
contents.
That kinda cereal is dead food.

Hi Tony,

Ya no fooling.

Bananas are sold wholesale in two categories: Green and
Yellow Tip. The Yellow Tip ones are the only ones that
have any hope of ripening.

Bought a green organic banana from Trader Joe's once
just to see it it would ever ripen. It did not.
Ask a matter of fact, it was so hard, it could be used
as a hammer.

I have a rule, if it did not come from either the produce
isle or the meat counter, it AINT food. And, sometimes,
those are not food either.

Your cereal example is a good one for my rule. It would
be an interesting experiment to feed one group of mice
just the box and another group just the contents. Wonder
who would be healthier. Hmmmmm.

If you like bananas (I can't eat them anymore -- too high carb),
try an organic small red plantain. Very rich banana taste.
Yellow bananas today are not the same as we ate as kids.
They are a hybrid to get past some banana disease. They
taste chalky. And the disease has caught up to the hybrid,
so the hybrid is on its way out too. The red ones are
apparently immune. Try one!

-T