Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Tomato deluge

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:21:18 -0400, Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner wrote:

For the first time in years I have a bumper crop of tomatoes. The past
three years I had to actually buy some! From grape to heirloom monsters
they have overrun the courtyard like ISIS at a Synagog. At much as we
eat only puts a dent in the crop from only 5 plants. Two of these
plants are 8' by 8'. I've skinned and boiled down at least 3 gallons of
puree and froze the product for future use in soups, sauces, pies, etc.
I soon will have another bushel of fruit to contend with. The
neighbors don't want any more, any ideas?

Any San Marzano? (Italian sauce tomatoes) I used to do fairly well
with them, in SW Ohio.

I don't know exactly, we have 2 Roma or plumb or something with lots of
flesh and small amount of seeds and goo.

The seed pack or plant labels probably would have said so if they were
San Marzanos. They're a premium paste tomato, popular here in NJ.

I envy you your crop. I had to skip growing tomatoes this year. For
the past couple of years I've had great crops of Rutgers Ramapos,
which are a superior slicing tomato.

If you want to try them next year, remind me around February and I'll
tell you how to get seeds. They're not for sale at retailers -- so
far. You have to get them through Rutgers' Ag. Extension Service. And
don't buy the "Rutgers" plants sold at Home Depot and other plant
outlets. They're completely degenerate from the original variety --
which I also can get next season, if they have enough seeds.

--
Ed Huntress