Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default USB mains sockets opinion

On 09/10/2014 11:57, The Other Mike wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 09:50:37 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 09/10/14 09:27, Bod wrote:

If the device being charged is designed for a 1 amp charger, then using
a 2 amp will simply charge up quicker. I have used 2 amp chargers for
years with all of my devices, even the ones that were supplied with 1
amp chargers. I've never had any problems.

Not entirely - anything with a lithium based battery is supposed to
regulate its charging and discharging as going out of bounds in either
direction is dangerous (fire risk).

One would hope that a lithium battery installed in a device would have the
appropriate charge limiting and regulation circuitry within the device.

Supplying a USB device from a power source capable of sourcing say 100A at 5v
should *never* cause any issues.

You would hope that was the case, but the evidence of exploding ecigs
says that not all lithium batteries are properly protected. Typically it
is leaving them on charge for too long that does the damage...

They are notoriously tetchy about being over charged or over discharges
as fires of various manufacturers laptops will amply demonstrate.

It is a bit scary that the general public can buy raw lithium ion cells
with no protection at all if they know where to look and in AA format
too but delivering roughly twice the voltage of a normal AA cell.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown