Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange refrigerator noises

On 10/8/2014 9:38 PM, Kyle wrote:

My bottom-freezer unit makes this noise from time to

time that I describe as metallic bubbling or popping
or chattering. I had a Kenmore (mea culpa, mea culpa)
repairman say he could find no problem. Said it had
to do with the coolant line.

Flash-forward two years, and the new refrigerator/

freezer we bought for the church kitchen had the same
issue. Had a repair person from the local company we
bought it from come out, and as soon as he heard it
said it was a problem with the new R-410A refrigerant
they now use in all new refrigerators. It's not a
problem, it won't break anything, but damned if
"progress" isn't noisy.

I've know of compressors to gurgle when charged. And
who knows? Might be part of the refrigeration system.

As to refrigerators, I've seen R134a. R-410a is used
in newer central AC systems. Some freezers take R404a.

--
..
Christopher A. Young