Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Strange refrigerator noises

On Friday, October 3, 2014 4:33:52 PM UTC-4, Rebel1 wrote:
Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I

assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put

an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the

rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker

function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

I'm going to go waaaay out on a limb here and say it has nothing to do with the ice maker and everything to do with the refrigerant.

My bottom-freezer unit makes this noise from time to time that I describe as metallic bubbling or popping or chattering. I had a Kenmore (mea culpa, mea culpa) repairman say he could find no problem. Said it had to do with the coolant line.

Flash-forward two years, and the new refrigerator/freezer we bought for the church kitchen had the same issue. Had a repair person from the local company we bought it from come out, and as soon as he heard it said it was a problem with the new R-410A refrigerant they now use in all new refrigerators.. It's not a problem, it won't break anything, but damned if "progress" isn't noisy.