Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Homobase

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Tim Watts wrote
whisky-dave wrote

No it's due to suicides as it's a common way top attempt it pill
overdose

http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/17/w...ls-in-england/

Which is odd as it must the worst method possible.

Yep, that's the problem the people that think like this aren't thinking
straight.

Plenty of them are, most obviously with euthanasia.

But it's extremly difficult to kill yourself with
standard dose asprin you'd need to take 50+.

I'm not convinced that that would kill you and that is
a completely separate matter to you claim I commented
on, whether most who suicide aren't thinking straight.

Many of them are, most obviously with euthanasia.

It either doesn't work or it takes so long to work that the victim
changes their mind by which time their liver is so buggered that
death is merely a matter of time - a horrible nasty painful time.

Yep, it's the simplest drug to take and the one most likely to be
in the home in quantity. That's why they stopped selling large
containers of 200 because people brought them to save money.
Those considering suicide because they weanted to die or for
attention just headed for the nearest bottle of pills.

Doesn't explain why Britain is one of the few places
that bans those quantitys for normal retail sales.

It does when it's a nanny state

Its no more a nanny state than plenty of others.

and the FACT that those people that do attempt to
kill themselves by that method fail but end up with
some such disability as liver failer and need treatment.

I just don't believe that many actually attempt
to kill themselves using lots of aspirins.

Then there's still the 'accidental' overdose

I don't believe that happens much with aspirin
in the sort of quantity that produces liver failure.

or the help me overdoes,

Not clear what you mean there.

I had a flatmate (before she lived with me) who took about
15 paracetomols to kill herself because she was despressed.
She failed.

Sure, paracetamol can certainly kill you.

If it were a 100 or 200 jar she might have done
her self some serioius harm but not death.

I just don't believe that many would buy 100 or 200 jars of paracetamol.

http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/17/w...ls-in-england/

"LESTER: They started doing that about five years ago, and they restrict
the
numbers, and they put them in plastic blisters so you have to tear them
out.

That last was done for other reasons, to make it harder for kids to take
them accidentally.

And again, you'd think all I have to do is go to six drugstores, you know,
buy packets in each of them, all I have to do is just tear them out. But
it
has cut down the number of overdoses. It's also cut down the number
of serious overdoses that have led to kidney damage. Now, very few
people died of an acetaminophen overdose. So it's been hard to
document that it cut the number of deaths, but certainly the number
of attempts. The overdoses with it have been cut dramatically. And
they did think about other things. You know, they did think about
putting bitter tasting substances in it, or a substance that would
make you vomit if you took too many. But they decided that was
perhaps...That would interfere with the appropriate use of an
analgesic such as Tylenol or aspirin. You know, the people who
really needed them for headache would find it unpleasant to
take them. ... It's been remarkable, a success, that."

That is mostly just waffle.

It isnt even one of the few places
that bans those and guns as well.

If I wanted to top myself, I'd use any inert gas except for CO2.

So you have inert gas in your home just waiting to be used.

Its easy enough to get some if you want to do that.

Which is easier going to the cabinet in my kitchen

You wont be able to find much that can kill you reliably there.

or for you to go and find your inert gas,

Its completely trivial to do that, any place flogging party balloons.

and now think about the averaae person in the UK. I bet
half wouldn't know what an inert gas was let alone find it.

Sure, but that's just as true of what will kill
you reliably in the medicine cabinet too or
even the cupboard under the sink or the shed.

The main exception is rope.

and then there's cost.

It doesn't cost enough to matter.

Most people that think of killing themselves do it on the spot and use
whatever is to hand they don;t normally go out and purchase items.

You don't know that.

I do, it's not the first time I've discussed this. I've known
3 people who have attempted to kill themselves. One
ended up in goodmayes psychiatric hospital.

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

I actually know more than that who have chosen to
get what they need to kill themselves reliably if they
ever decide that they want to do that and all of those
have done that by going out and purchasing items.

The one that has killed himself successfully used a rope.

These people aren't normally in their 'right mind' at the time.

Sure, those spontaneous ones, but there are plenty
of others that are, most obviously with euthanasia.

Which is also illegal in the UK.

Not if you do it to yourself.

One of which is very readily available on the high street.

So were asprins in large quantities and
the majority of attempted suicides.

http://www.suicidemethods.net/suicide-methods/

guns illegal in the UK, so it's pills or join the armed forces
to 'fight' in another country would be my suggestion.

Much more effective to get some helium
that's used for party balloons and use that.

It's not that effective and unlikely to kill you.

Its completely effective and always kills you
when you ensure that that is all you breath.

The other obvious approach is nembutal,
trivially available in the third world over
the counter in places like Mexico.

A doubt many thinking of suicide wowuld
think of buying a ticket to mexico.

Plenty have done that.

Just jump in front of a train on the way to heathrow .....

Most prefer the nembutal. You can buy in on the net too.

There's even been a far better suggestion in this NG, but
make sure you have the £20 on you before you do it.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjIKPAmCcAA31T3.jpg

That approach is very unreliable.

Another obvious approach is a heroin overdose,

heroin is illegal which could be a problem.

Nope, vast numbers use it every day.

but that's more risky because you can't be sure
it's the usual strength and so you can't be sure you
will kill yourself with say 10 times the normal dose.

Yep you could be solo asprin.

Try that again in english.