Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default USB mains sockets opinion

In message ,
writes
On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:10:15 PM UTC+1, Rob wrote:
On 08/10/2014 13:22, Lee wrote:

Looking to get a couple as they look to be useful.
Probably missed the extra long discussion that someone is going to point
me to But, what are the residents opinions on these?

If they are all certified up then I guess they must be safe, but I don't
know, something about them just nags at me...

As others have said, increasing current demands of newer equipment may
make the existing current limit a bit lacking in the near future.

I expect there will be another iteration of usb having an extra pin
that enables higher V_out too.

USB3 is already designed to supply a higher current than the standard
usb 500ma, but I'm not sure what it is. Don't think it is as high as the
2+ A supplied by some USB chargers.

Presumably always on, altough their power demands will be very low when
unused.

Yes, to the point of trivial now.

No-one's mentioned yet the proliferation of unsafe warts, be a bit
careful what you buy or inuslation test it.

Hard though sometimes, when even reputable products may be cheap copies.

I have though found an extension lead with a couple of built in USB
ports useful (mine is a Masterplug unit with 4 13A outlets as well).

One advantage of, the built in usb outlets is that you can take the
walwart away somewhere else :-)

NT

--
Chris French