Ecnerwal

Default Good grief Charlie Brown...HSS is tough stuff!

In article ,
(Joel) wrote:

I have been turning for less than a year now and other day (feeling
especially full of myself)I decided to try my hand at making some
simple turning tools. I found an old jointer blade and started to
work it into a 3/4" flat nose scraper. A hacksaw won't cut it, a file
can't scratch it and when I tried to make a starting dimple with a
punch, it didn't even mark it...probably can't drill it
either...

What's your worry? You've simply been going at the material with the
wrong tools. Since it's virtually impossible to anneal and reharden at
home, and you're starting with it hard, work it hard, and that means:

Grind the stuff. It grinds. If you need to cut it, you can either cut it
with an abrasive cutoff wheel, or you can get a "grit-edge" hacksaw
blade that might do it, if the bond holds up (I've had better luck with
Remington than with Starrett, in these blades).

Don't drill, punch, or file it. Grind it. Wear eye protection, pay
attention to where the sparks are going, clean up the woodshavings first
if you don't have a separate metalwork area, or take it outside (fire is
bad). AlZn on a belt sander does wonders. Plain old cheap gray grinder
wheels work fine if you are patient.