nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxpayer View Post
What angers me is that the majority of our health insurance premiums is used to pay for battling disease resulting from factory foods...and we taxpayers have to pay for it all,
The deterioration of health is not a one sided coin.

People nowadays are eating pork and beef raised with growth hormones in their feed. The result is that the livestock grows faster, but I believe that eating the meat of a cow raised on growth hormones causes accelerated growth in people as well. If you compare the average heights of children today, you'll find they grow to be considerably taller than their parents were, and that just doesn't make sense from a genetics point of view.

Also, our parents lived in a time when anyone with strong muscles could get a menial job loading trucks or moving furniture or what have you. Nowadays, most of those jobs are gone, having been replaced by machinery. People nowadays simply don't get enough exercise. We evolved from apes that spent much of their time gathering food to eat, and we don't do that any more. No where is the lack of exercise more obvious than in the children today. When I was a kid, we'd ride our bikes everywhere, play baseball and do everything that keeps young kids happy and healthy outdoors. Nowadays, kids are as likely to spend their entire Saturday afternoon in the basement playing a video game.

And, our food is provided by companies that compete with each other, and those companies know that sugar tastes good. So, we find carbohydrates of various kinds making their way into every processed food we eat. Why? Because adding sugar to ANYTHING (with the sole exception of sugar itself) makes it taste better. So, our pancreases are continuously working overtime to process that sugar we're consuming all day long, and storing it as fat. If all the companies, like General Mills, Heinz, Kraft and Kellog would stop adding sugar and salt to their foods, we'd all be healthier. The problem is that Washington lawmakers are heavily influenced by lobby groups that convince the senators and congressmen to do what they want them to, and the lobby of the food processors is just as influential as any other lobby group in Washington.

What bugs me about shows where that retard, Gordon Ramsay, is telling chefs to prepart all their meals from scratch is that it totally ignores the fact that in a restaurant, 100 people come in to eat within a half hour period between 11:30 AM and noon and they all want something different to eat. Chefs simply don't have the time to be preparing each of those meals from scratch.

I know that food prepared from scratch tastes better. Nothing smells or tastes better than home made bread. But, the only people that have time to make their own bread nowadays are bakers and the unemployed.