Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homobase

On Tuesday, 7 October 2014 23:36:36 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote

Tim Watts wrote

whisky-dave wrote

No it's due to suicides as it's a common way top attempt it pill

overdose

http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/17/w...ls-in-england/

Which is odd as it must the worst method possible.

Yep, that's the problem the people that think like this aren't thinking
straight.

Plenty of them are, most obviously with euthanasia.

But it's extremly difficult to kill yourself with standard dose asprin you'd need to take 50+.

It either doesn't work or it takes so long to work that the victim
changes their mind by which time their liver is so buggered that
death is merely a matter of time - a horrible nasty painful time.

Yep, it's the simplest drug to take and the one most likely to be
in the home in quantity. That's why they stopped selling large
containers of 200 because people brought them to save money.
Those considering suicide because they weanted to die or for
attention just headed for the nearest bottle of pills.

Doesn't explain why Britain is one of the few places
that bans those quantitys for normal retail sales.

It does when it's a nanny state and the FACT that those people that do attempt to kill themselves by that method fail but end up with some such disability as liver failer and need treatment.

Then there's still the 'accidental' overdose or the help me overdoes, I had a flatmate (before she lived with me) who took about 15 paracetomols to kill herself because she was despressed. She failed. If it were a 100 or 200 jar she might have done her self some serioius harm but not death.

http://freakonomics.com/2011/05/17/w...ls-in-england/

"LESTER: They started doing that about five years ago, and they restrict the numbers, and they put them in plastic blisters so you have to tear them out. And again, you'd think all I have to do is go to six drugstores, you know, buy packets in each of them, all I have to do is just tear them out. But it has cut down the number of overdoses. It's also cut down the number of serious overdoses that have led to kidney damage. Now, very few people died of an acetaminophen overdose. So it's been hard to document that it cut the number of deaths, but certainly the number of attempts. The overdoses with it have been cut dramatically. And they did think about other things. You know, they did think about putting bitter tasting substances in it, or a substance that would make you vomit if you took too many. But they decided that was perhaps...That would interfere with the appropriate use of an analgesic such as Tylenol or aspirin. You know, the people who really needed them for headache would find it unpleasant to take them. ... It's been remarkable, a success, that."

It isnt even one of the few places
that bans those and guns as well.

If I wanted to top myself, I'd use any inert gas except for CO2.

So you have inert gas in your home just waiting to be used.

Its easy enough to get some if you want to do that.

Which is easier going to the cabinet in my kitchen or for you to go and find your inert gas, and now think about the averaae person in the UK.
I bet half wouldn't know what an inert gas was let alone find it.

and then there's cost.

Most people that think of killing themselves do it on the spot and use
whatever is to hand they don;t normally go out and purchase items.

You don't know that.

I do, it's not the first time I've discussed this. I've known 3 people who have attempted to kill themselves. One ened up in goodmayes psychiatric hospital.

These people aren't normally in their 'right mind' at the time.

Sure, those spontaneous ones, but there are plenty
of others that are, most obviously with euthanasia.

Which is also illegal in the UK.

One of which is very readily available on the high street.

So were asprins in large quantities and the majority of attempted
suicides.

http://www.suicidemethods.net/suicide-methods/

guns illegal in the UK, so it's pills or join the armed forces to 'fight'
in another country would be my suggestion.

Much more effective to get some helium
that's used for party balloons and use that.

It's not that effective and unlikely to kill you.

The other obvious approach is nembutal,
trivially available in the third world over
the counter in places like Mexico.

A doubt many thinking of suicide wowuld think of buying a ticket to mexico.
Just jump in front of a train on the way to heathrow .....

There's even been a far better suggestion in this NG, but make sure you have the £20 on you before you do it.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjIKPAmCcAA31T3.jpg

Another obvious approach is a heroin overdose,

heroin is illegal which could be a problem.

but that's more risky because you can't be sure
it's the usual strength and so you can't be sure you
will kill yourself with say 10 times the normal dose.

Yep you could be solo asprin.