Posted to alt.home.repair
John G[_2_] John G[_2_] is offline

Default Ceiling install

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:24:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a bathroom that has a cathedral ceiling in it. I would like to put in a normal ceiling and use the wasted space above then for storage. The ceiling will be about 10' x 6'. The question I have is can I use 2x6 for the joist? I want to install canned lights and I'm not sure if this will provide enough clearance for them.

Thanks,

Jim

*If the space is above a tub or shower or within 3' of a tub or shower, you would need to use shower trims on the recessed lights. I know that they are available for 6" diameter recessed lights, but those require almost 8" of clearance. A 4" recessed light might fit within the 2" x 6" joist, but I don't know if there are shower trims in that size. There are compact recessed lights, however your trim and bulb options can be limited. You could go to a lighting store to learn more about choices available or at the very least go to Home Depot with a measuring tape and measure the cans that they have. I suggest that you fully plan your project before implementation.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV