Posted to alt.home.repair
Rebel1 Rebel1 is offline

Default Strange refrigerator noises

On 10/8/2014 1:27 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 10/7/14, 10:19 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
On 10/3/2014 4:33 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
Every once in a while, I hear noises from the top freezer part. I
assumed that it was ice cubes dropping into the collection tray. I put
an empty tray under the cube maker but nothing appears in it after the
rattling sound.

There is a handle that when raised is supposed to stop the ice maker
function. Even when up, I still hear the sound.

Suggestions?

Maytag PTB2153DRW

Thanks,

R1

The sound is definitely not coming from the ice maker, which is on the
left side of the freezer. More from the right wall, but knocking on it
with my knuckles doesn't trigger the sound. The rattling only occurs
when the motor is running.

Even stranger than the rattling is there is no shut off valve on the
copper water line to the ice maker. The line emerges from the baseboard.
On the opposite side is a bedroom. Bizarre! If the line leaked, I'd have
to shut the water to the entire house off as far as I can tell. I've
been here only a month, so I don't know all the in's and out's of the
house.

R1

I get noises a little like ice cubes dropping, and I don't have an ice
maker. When I mentioned it before, it was two or three days before I
heard it again. Then it seemed to happen every time the compressor
started.

It might last ten seconds, maybe a dozen knocks, irregularly spaced like
corn popping.

I checked my defrost cycle. It's 10 minutes at 363 watts following by 20
minutes of rest.

I haven't checked to see if it's always 10 minutes of heat. If it is,
that's probably the minimum to keep things working. Depending on the
dew point in the house and how much the door is open while the blower is
running, that might not be quite enough for everything to drip down and
drain. Maybe there's a little ice left on the evaporator, and the
dripping water forms icicles, and they pick up frost. When the blower
comes on, some little icicles break off and are blown into something.

That's my theory. I suppose I could prove it by unscrewing the panel at
the back of the compartment and looking for bits of ice the next time I
hear it. I'm too lazy for that, so I'll assume it's harmless.

Interesting theory. I'll try finding a similar pattern. Yes, the noise
does appear harmless, but I'm a perfectionist, and in all my years (more
than 70), I've never hear such a noise. The house I just sold had a
15-year-old refrig that never made any noise other than the compressor.