Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody have a spare cable tension gauge?

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 23:48:43 -0400, John
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 7 Oct 2014 08:48:00 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 05:30:11 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

The section using a 2 meter rod and calipers should work for any
cable
as long as you know it's stretch numbers.

Stretch numbers of 40 yr old 3/16 1/9 stainless? Right

Thanks for the link though. Its one Ive used, but was looking for
something a bit faster and easier.

Gunner

You could weigh yourself and then clamp off a loop big enough for one
shoe and measure how far your weight stretches it.
-jsw

Right. I could do that.

All I want to do is put some pressure on the fore stay and the 4 side
mast shrouds, tuning the rigging and changing it occasionally for
different conditions once Ive tuned properly the rig for minimum
weather helm etc etc

That's why they make cable tension gauges...to match stuff up or to
tension it to certain specs.

Ill wait and see if the gent with the airplane cable gizmo wants to
sell/swap/trade

But thanks anyways.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

I think my cable tension unit is way out of your price range.

John

Ok. Thanks anyways.

Ill look for a surplus one on Ebay.

Is this like yours?