Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP LaserJet 4000 paper feed issues again.

On Tue, 7 Oct 2014 13:50:46 -0700, "David Farber"
wrote:

I got some good help here last time to fix a paper jamming problem with the
lower drawer in my HP LaserJet 4000. It was the sticky solenoid issue in the
main paper tray.

Yep. Common problem. I think that there is (not sure) also a
solenoid INSIDE the paper tray frame that can also cause paper feed
jams. I couldn't tell for sure from the exploded views:
http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs/4K-Catalog/4K-AssblyContents.html#Parts

Mo
http://blog.marketpoint.com/2011/03/07/common-error-codes-and-problems-with-the-hp-laserjet-4000-4050-4100/

Now I have a different issue with the way the paper doesn't
feed from the manual (upper) tray. The pick up roller starts to move just a
small amount, then it stops. If I don't intervene, I get a paper feed error.
If I do intervene and give the roller a push, it will get the paper loaded.
Then there's a pause, and I see it try to move again. Then I have to push it
again. Then all goes well. Is this the other upper solenoid?

Sure sounds like a solenoid problem. The feed roller is not locked in
the correct position on the first attempt. It then rotates around
maybe 300 degrees, gets to where it should be, and starts to push
normally. However, it doesn't finish going around a second time, and
just stops.

I cleaned them
both last time I had it apart. I thought a sticky solenoid causes the
opposite problem where the paper won't stop loading. It used to be
intermittent but now it happens all the time.

It might also be how thick the felt you attached to the solenoid
armature. If too thin, the armature will stick to the magnetized coil
core. If too thick, the armature pawl will rub against the cam, and
possibly stick.

Offhand, I would guess(tm) that it's the feed roller and it's
accomplice the separation pad. Just buy a kit on eBay and replace
everything. For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271623116889

--
Jeff Liebermann