Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Muriatic acid, removing excess mortar, brick steps repair

dadiOH wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message

In newsp.xndbvjpa2cx0wh@ajm,

Or, maybe regular mortar mix is more sand-like and not as smooth to
work with as the Type S mortar -- which I didn't try. The funny
thing is that
the only reason that I didn't buy their Type S "Mason Mix" is that it
comes in 80 pound bags rather than the 60 pound bags that the regular
mortar comes in. I just didn't want to have to lug around 80 pound
bags.
If it came in smaller bags, I would have bought that instead.

Here in central Florida, it comes in 60# bags at Home Depot. Lighter
but still not feather-like. That's why I use a cane Cane
doesn't help at home though

They may well have more than one packaging...mine says - IIRC -
"Mortar/Stucco Mix, Type S". A bit over $6.00/bag.

I paid around 4something a bag for 80's at the local lumber/hardware . I
was doing stone , made my own mix with 5 type s , 1 each portland and
thinset mortar (tile setting) and 3 sand . I needed a stiff , sticky mix for
the wall stone . Link to the pictures :
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1 .
BTW , every one of those rocks was picked up on our land ... and we have
several hundred thousand more .
I also need to remove some mortar "haze" from the joints of my stone work
, and planned to use muriatic - I'll have to be careful , the stove is
installed now . We had us a cold snap and I needed a far . I've used vinegar
successfully to remove grout haze from tile work , found that I needed
something stronger for this . Y'all's posts heve given me somewhere to start
, thanks !

--
Snag
The only thing that outnumbers