Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Muriatic acid, removing excess mortar, brick steps repair

"TomR" wrote in message

Yes, what they describe is about a 16:1 dilution ratio to "brighten"
masonry and brick work. But, even though on the lable there is a
mention
of "removing excess mortar", there are no instructions on whattype of
concentration to use for that. Maybe I'll try starting with about an
8:1
ratio first as you suggested.

The label is also confusing (to me) about what the concentration is of
the
muriatic acid that is in the bottle. It says something about 20%, which
assume means by volume, and then says it's 31% by weight.

I don't know what strength regular muriatic acid is, or what strength
brick masons use for this type of clean-up work after repointing brick
with new mortar that isn't fully cured.

Those strengths are the norm. Just use one part of that to "X" parts of
water. And ALWAYS add the acid to the water, NEVER vice versa.

Start with a very weak mix...if that doesn't work for you, increase the
strength until it does. What you want to remove probably won't require
more than a very weak mix.

--

dadiOH