Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default damn that Julie Bove!

On 10/06/2014 12:13 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 21:22:30 -0700, Todd wrote:

On my M1911, the trigger pull is really heavy:
around 9 lbs. But it has not travel, so it
fires when you apply enough pressure, but you
can't feel it move, so no flinching.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I have never seen a weapon damaged by dry
firing them. Handguns and long guns. Don't make it a habit, though.

Isn't that how the trigger pull is measured and tested. I think so.

Hi Oren,

I dry fire mine all the time.

After I unload and do all the checks (light down the magazine
hole, light down the barrel), I point them down at the ground
and slowly release the hammer. I store them "fired", not "cocked".

If trouble happens, in goes the magazine, back goes the
side, and I am in position one, ready for a fight.

But, then again, since owning weapons, I have this
discipline I use. I don't go anywhere where I think
I will need one. If I am ever forced to change that, I
will go through a practical shooting course and get
myself a vest. When I can put three in a pop up
target in less than a second, then I am ready to go.
Although, I would only go under protest. (I can
put three out there in a second, but only one will
go where I point.)

Speaking of practical shooting, a lot of those
guys out here tinker with the M1911 so that
they shoot 38's and have far less recoil.
No fun.

And there are the guys who shoot bowling pins.
They shoot hot loads! Now that seems like tons of
fun! Speed and hot ammo!

The M1911 is the only gun I know of that you can
customize so thoroughly. The rest are kind of
"as is".

Did you ever shoot the M14? Look what they have done
to it!

https://duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&uddg...468px-Mk14.png

-T