Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Henson[_2_] Bob Henson[_2_] is offline

Default OT - tax disc holder

On 04/10/2014 7:52 PM, Jabba wrote:
Bob Henson wrote

On 04/10/2014 3:17 PM, Jabba wrote:
Adrian wrote

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 14:11:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I should hang on to it because you might need it again once they
realise just how easy it will be for any DIY number plate maker to
avoid road tax MOT and insurance.

Indeed. simply find a car that looks like yours and steal or duplicate
the plates

Because, obviously, a small round piece of paper is all that's been
stopping people from doing that for years.

Hundreds have been nicked for not showing it, when they have been taxed.
Some for sticking it on the wrong side of the windscreen.

Beer bottle labels used to be a good replacement if you lost one.

There used to be a requirement to display it on the nearside of the
windscreen within eight inches, I think, of the bottom corner. I got
told to move mine from the middle behind the mirror (I thought it was
safer out of my sight-line) by a copper in Manchester once, and actually
got a ticket issued by a Yellow Banded Vulture (now Blue banded) in
Malmesbury because mine had fallen off the windscreen. The car was brand
new, hence had to be taxed, and it was visible on the floor of the car
whence it had fallen, but I got done because it was not correctly
displayed. I sent the bill to the garage whose crap disc-holder had
fallen off the screen, and they refunded the fine. They were both a long
time ago, but I haven't heard that the law has changed.

Thinking back again, I was negotiating a five minute parking truce with
a Yellow Banded Vulture in Nottingham whilst I picked up a new, heavy
HiFi from a shop when he suddenly whipped out his pad and started
writing a ticket. I thought he had decided to book me, but he had
spotted a car driving past with no disc in the windscreen, noted the
number. and started issuing a ticket all in one movement. You have to
admire talent - even with a YBV.

Traffic wardens reckoned that a disc on the drivers side meant they had
to walk into the traffic to look at it. Right load of ********, as many
cars are parked with driver side closest to pavement. As for coppers...

When the law was first introduced, I don't think Traffic Wardens existed
anyway - it was for the benefit of the rozzers on foot patrol (remember
them?). In those days, if you parked on the "wrong" side of the road
after lighting up time you got nicked for that too.

--
Bob Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

In a democracy it's your vote that counts. In feudalism it's your count
that votes.