Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff[_2_] Brian Gaff[_2_] is offline

Default OT ish; Chromebook

Yes, I'm very leery of things that operate storing my data online in a
cloud or whatever. However I do have a vested interest in preserving the
look of interfaces which of course Google can change at a whim without
asking if most of it is online.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I
understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft?

It isn't Microsoft, it's Linux (but the idea is the user shouldn't care
what it is, it just keeps itself updated and they simply use it) so if you
run any software that's specifically Windows only, it won't run that
obviously.

They have relatively small amounts of storage (flash memory instead of a
spinning disc) as you're intended to either read stuff that's online with
them, or store your own stuff online, so you need to have Wifi or 3G
coverage for them to be very useful.

Not played with them very much, an IT manager for a large NHS trust got
one as his retirement present, when I spoke to him later he's over the
moon with it.