Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT ish; Chromebook

On 05/10/2014 08:49, Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/10/14 22:08, polygonum wrote:
On 04/10/2014 21:21, newshound wrote:

An external keyboard (I have the Microsoft Wedge) makes typing really
good on tablets. But it is a pain to carry round.

I'm not sold on pads yet.

For me, "typing" on a touchscreen is such an utterly painful experience
I avoid it as much as possible. A phone is bearable as it will only me a
short message or a google/youtube/neflix search and a phone is small
enough that the utility of having it in my pocket all the time makes it
worth while.

For anything else it has to be a 14-15" laptop and if I'm working for
long,that needs to be jacked into a proper monitor and real keyboard.

I do question Star Trek (Next Generation aka Picard) - those guys are
always tapping away as a glass screened pad, or a ginormous glass
touchscreen console on a desk or wall.

Never hear Worf swearing "FFS, stupid keyboard does not work with my fat
fingers" and despite that you never see anyone giving the glass a polish
with a cloth, for some reason they are always shiny and not at all
smeared with fingerprints/sweat/deal alien blood.

I think you do see them covered with tribbles, though. :-)

My laptop is much heavier and awkward to get usable on the road. Has far
shorter battery life. Is noisier. And also usually has a dirty screen.
Out and about, I use a Surface Pro for work, my Nexus 7 for home.

--
Rod