Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default OT ish; Chromebook

In message , A.Lee
writes
Adrian wrote:

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 10:27:41 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

I've recently bought a 9" Tablet with Android OS at £38 inc. delivery.

I've been toying with the idea of a cheap tablet. What one did you go for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111416752985

I was surprised at how good it is. I rooted it, and got rid of all the
ads, added a few apps - office, ad-remover etc, dolphin browser, and it
runs great. The camera is not up to much, but probably on a par with a
cheap phone.

That sounds very similar to my 9" tablet. It's good, but my complaints

Lack of bluetooth
Very low resolution (although I quite like that with age-related
eyesight)
Small memory and relatively small space for programs. I still haven't
really got my head round why some tablets divide up the memory in such a
way as to leave little space for programs compared with the space left
for data.

Adrian - the point about not needing the phone feature is fine, but my
experience is that the more I use the tablets, the more I want all the
features. Mine have diverted away from what I expected as I have found
that they have different uses from the equally needed laptops. Maybe I'm
odd because I don't have a smartphone.

I am also not convinced that some of the cheap tablets are that much
worse than the more expensive branded ones. Certainly my 2 phablets have
been very handy for quickly showing websites to SWMBO, rather than
getting a laptop with the right viewing angle and then navigating
screens.
--
Bill