Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT ish; Chromebook

On 04/10/2014 21:21, newshound wrote:
On 04/10/2014 14:55, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 14:29:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

Adrian, I don't know if it *must* be a Chromebook you're after

I'm hijacking a different thread here. Definitely not a chromebook for
me.

but the Tesco 2 Hudl 2 8.3" tablet is due out next week and it's got
a good write up in this link, £129 and Tesco vouchers thrown in.

Yeh, I'd heard that was on the way - and was what re-prompted my
wondering.

I *love* tablets and bought bluetooth keyboards for my first two, but
have ended up not using them; I use the tablets for browsing / email
checking / photo viewing / reading manuals only, with various small
laptops for anything where I need to *enter* significant text based like
WP and spreadsheet. (Tablets are *wonderful* for holding things like car
or camera manuals).

One of my laptops is a toshiba with touch screen and Win 8.1 with a
removable keyboard, so in principle either an "ipad" or a "laptop". In
practice, it stays as a laptop while I use a Nexus 7 for all my "tablet"
requirements.

Just my experience. Wife runs an old iPad and a Kindle Fire in parallel
with her chromebook, but generally follows the same pattern: if she
needs to type anything more than a sentence she uses the chromebook,
otherwise one of the tablets.

We also have relatively small smartphones. I wonder from time to time
whether the new big iPhone or the android equivalents would eliminate
one device, but I am inclined to think you need a pocketable phone and a
minimum of 7 inch screen for most "tablet" applications, i.e. two
separate devices. It is handy to be able to check email on a small
phone, but easier to reply using a tablet or laptop unless it is just
yes or no.

Having got a Galaxy G2, Surface Pro, Nexus 7, iPad (original), Nokia
1520 - and have access to a new big Surface Pro, 72 iPad, laptops of
many varieties, I have a soft spot for the Nexus. It is our current
easiest way of using iPlayer on the television.

An external keyboard (I have the Microsoft Wedge) makes typing really
good on tablets. But it is a pain to carry round.

--
Rod