Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default OT ish; Chromebook

On 04/10/2014 14:55, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 14:29:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

Adrian, I don't know if it *must* be a Chromebook you're after

I'm hijacking a different thread here. Definitely not a chromebook for me.

but the Tesco 2 Hudl 2 8.3" tablet is due out next week and it's got
a good write up in this link, £129 and Tesco vouchers thrown in.

Yeh, I'd heard that was on the way - and was what re-prompted my
wondering.

I *love* tablets and bought bluetooth keyboards for my first two, but
have ended up not using them; I use the tablets for browsing / email
checking / photo viewing / reading manuals only, with various small
laptops for anything where I need to *enter* significant text based like
WP and spreadsheet. (Tablets are *wonderful* for holding things like car
or camera manuals).

One of my laptops is a toshiba with touch screen and Win 8.1 with a
removable keyboard, so in principle either an "ipad" or a "laptop". In
practice, it stays as a laptop while I use a Nexus 7 for all my "tablet"
requirements.

Just my experience. Wife runs an old iPad and a Kindle Fire in parallel
with her chromebook, but generally follows the same pattern: if she
needs to type anything more than a sentence she uses the chromebook,
otherwise one of the tablets.

We also have relatively small smartphones. I wonder from time to time
whether the new big iPhone or the android equivalents would eliminate
one device, but I am inclined to think you need a pocketable phone and a
minimum of 7 inch screen for most "tablet" applications, i.e. two
separate devices. It is handy to be able to check email on a small
phone, but easier to reply using a tablet or laptop unless it is just
yes or no.