Posted to uk.d-i-y
HarpingOn[_2_] HarpingOn[_2_] is offline

Default OT ish; Chromebook

On 04/10/2014 17:23, matthelliwell wrote:
On Saturday, 4 October 2014 10:01:33 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I
understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft?

My wife and daughter have one each. They do what its says on the tin. The only significant problem I've had is printing. You can't print directly from them unless you have a Google Cloud Print ready printer. Assuming you don't, you'd need another computer to act as a print server.

My Epson all in one printer does google cloud print, and has a scanner,
and it came with ink.

Cost £27 at ASDA. Hardly a bank breaker to get a google cloudprint printer.

I wouldn't be without my chromebook. Long battery life, far fewer
malware issues.

I use ssh to my Unix and Linux servers from it, and do python based web
development on it. As well as the usual browsing and document work. All
of the google docs stuff works offline by the way. It's all I need.
Cheap, light, reliable.