Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ish; Chromebook

On 04/10/2014 10:10, Andy Burns wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I
understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft?

It isn't Microsoft, it's Linux (but the idea is the user shouldn't care
what it is, it just keeps itself updated and they simply use it) so if
you run any software that's specifically Windows only, it won't run that
obviously.

Thanks.

If I used a memory stick with a WORD doc for example, would I be able to
read/edit it?

They have relatively small amounts of storage (flash memory instead of a
spinning disc) as you're intended to either read stuff that's online
with them, or store your own stuff online, so you need to have Wifi or
3G coverage for them to be very useful.

I assume I could use a USB stick to store stuff?

Not played with them very much, an IT manager for a large NHS trust got
one as his retirement present, when I spoke to him later he's over the
moon with it.