Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default How to get Glidden paint to adhere to joint compound skim coat?

On 10/1/2014 10:15 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 06:12:00 -0700, Mayayana
wrote:

| Did you PRIME it? If not, start over ) It must be primed (read
label
| for suggestions), and there are special primers for new drywall.

I prime new work, but not patches. I just spot-prime
those with the finish paint before I start rolling the wall.
Many paints are now sold as self-priming for use on plaster
or compound. Personally I find the "self-priming" idea
questionable, but I've never actually seen wall paint peel
because it wasn't primed first. The main function of
priming on drywall is to provide an even, consistent
surface for the topcoat to go over, which gives better
coverage and consistency of sheen.

Priming *might* help now, but only because it might
get through whatever is on the compound.

this paint is 'self-prime' but EVERYWHERE else works great! Often I only
use a paper towel to knock the 'dust' off and paint right over, and
paint adheres!

Same method on this spot, didn't work! ok, try again, but this time be
extremely aggressive at removing 'dustiness' still didn't stick!

I'm about to rip off/out all the fill and skim coat and start over, but
very laborious.

I asked here, because I thought someone might know a 'universal' sticky
primer I can put over the skim coat layer so I can move on. [without a
lot of work]

http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_M...l-en-J1475.pdf