Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ionization Smoke Detector In Toddler's Room: How Safe ?

On 10/1/2014 2:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:56:26 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 10/01/2014 12:28 PM, trader_4 wrote:

The point is there is no good reason to be drawing down the battery at

all. And why not put in rechargeables? Duh! That's what they do in

those other examples.

The answer as outlined above is more than likely "initial cost".

Yes, that explains why they didn't use rechargeables. It doesn't
explain why they didn't use a 10 cent diode so that the alkaline
battery is just there as standby and would last for years.

Again, if these bug you so much for that reason, the obvious alternative

is to do some research and replace them with ones which do have an

extended battery life and/or rechargeables.

I agree, that's a possible solution. The comment was directed at why
they didn't put in a 10c diode so I would not have to do that.

Different device/design but the outdoor unit on the local weather

station has started indicating "low battery" at night...it's got a solar

charger and I replaced the initial battery just a month ago but it

showed the missive the other night again already. I suppose the solar

cell is now starting to fail/losing its "oomph" after 2-3 yr in the SW

KS sun...

--

Does it have AC too?
From: "Pico Rico"