Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ionization Smoke Detector In Toddler's Room: How Safe ?

On 10/01/2014 1:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Yes, that explains why they didn't use rechargeables. It doesn't
explain why they didn't use a 10 cent diode so that the alkaline
battery is just there as standby and would last for years.

I still think it more than likely does...

I agree, that's a possible solution. The comment was directed at why
they didn't put in a 10c diode so I would not have to do that.

See above...

Different device/design but the outdoor unit on the local weather
station has started indicating "low battery" at night...it's got a solar
charger and I replaced the initial battery just a month ago but it
showed the missive the other night again already. I suppose the solar
cell is now starting to fail/losing its "oomph" after 2-3 yr in the SW
KS sun...

Does it have AC too?

Not the external station, no. The base in-house display unit does and
it _does_ have pretty good battery life--seems I've changed them out
once, maybe. But, this is a much higher-priced device (Davis
Instruments VantageVUE) so the few pennies kinds of cost-cutting on
mass-produced consumer devices isn't _quite_ so vicious.