Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Ionization Smoke Detector In Toddler's Room: How Safe ?

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:58:24 AM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:12:28 AM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:

"trader_4" wrote in message

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:33:57 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

On 10/01/2014 7:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

... since these are both AC and battery powered, why does the

battery

go out in a year, just as fast or faster than battery only powered

ones?

'Cuz they're a poorly designed (read "cheap to build") and don't

actually cut the battery (completely) out when A/C is on nor use

rechargeable batteries would be the likely cause...

I've not looked, but I'd think such a unit would be readily available

altho undoubtedly at a somewhat higher price point. There are just

the

minimal one each floor of the old battery-powered type here as

nothing's

been modified since all the recent Code changes. So, that's just

three

and the once't a year deal isn't so bad as there are no cathedral

ceilings, etc., ...

--

A diode that costs maybe 10 cents has a big impact on price?

think of the voltage drop, too.

I don't see .6V diode drop from a 9V battery being a design challenge.

The electronics is going to work on 5V or 3V anyway.

but the battery will "die" sooner.

How so? The battery is rated at X amphours. Whether it delivers it through
a diode or not is mostly insignificant. Only a very small amount of power is
lost in the diode.