Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Ionization Smoke Detector In Toddler's Room: How Safe ?

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:31:39 AM UTC-4, Bill Gill wrote:
On 10/1/2014 7:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It is when you have 8 of them and some of them are in high ceilings

that you can't reach with a small step ladder. I can see you're one

of the guys that believes in big govt and more regulation, rather than

personal choice.

Actually I believe in safety. That seems to me to be a much

more important point than whether there is some mild inconvenience.

How many television reports have you see where somebody died

in a fire and "there were not working smoke detectors"?

Bill

I believe in personal freedom. It's a much more important concept
than inconvenience and guys like you insisting that we all have to
live by your rules in our own house.

And the strawman nonsense is so typical. It's not an issue of not having
smoke detectors. It's just that I said I'd prefer to just have AC powered
ones that don't have battery backup. Is that so radical and unsafe? For
the record, since you brought it up, despite all the laws and all the
ruminating, there are still plenty of fires where people
die where there aren't working smoke detectors. Evey one of them that I've
seen, it was a case where there were either no smoke detectors, or battery
smoke detectors with dead batteries. Not a single one where it was an
AC only detector and the cause of the fatality was that it didn't have a
battery backup. Since you have such strong opinions in favor of requiring
battery backup you should be able to provide us with those numbers and
examples where a battery backup would have made a difference.