Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Ionization Smoke Detector In Toddler's Room: How Safe ?

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:46:27 PM UTC-4, Bill Gill wrote:
On 9/30/2014 12:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:45:04 PM UTC-4, Bill Gill wrote:

On 9/30/2014 8:21 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

"VinnyB" wrote in message

'Bob[_44_ Wrote:

Anyone know of any Links where there is information regarding

how safe an Ionization type of Smoke Detector is in a youngster's room.

I would not put one in the kids room. How about the hallway right

outside the kids room?

--

I kill-file all messages posted through Google Groups.

A guy I know lives alone, and when he had minor work done that required a

building permit, he was required to install FOUR smoke detectors within

about 10 feet of each other - one in each bedroom, by its door, and one in

the hallway.

The chirping when the batteries all went low at the same time drove him

nuts, so now he has one smoke detector in the hall and three spares.

Thereby bypassing the safety codes that are imposed to

protect us and our children.

Bill

The children! Won't someone please think of the children?!!!

I'd say when you have codes that go nuts and require crazy numbers

of smoke detectors, you'd have to be an imbecile not to realize that

it's going to lead to non-compliance. If the guy lives alone, who's

children exactly is he supposed to protect?

And it is such a huge job keeping batteries in the smoke detectors.

How can you expect any body to do that just to be safe.

It's not what I expect anybody else to do. It's what I would prefer
to do.

Of course you could simplify the battery problem in couple of ways.

Replace the batteries Spring and Fall or replace all the batteries when

one detector starts beeping. That is so difficult.

Bill

It is when you have 8 of them and some of them are in high ceilings
that you can't reach with a small step ladder. I can see you're one
of the guys that believes in big govt and more regulation, rather than
personal choice.

And obviously you have no explanation for the question I posed, which
is that since these are both AC and battery powered, why does the battery
go out in a year, just as fast or faster than battery only powered ones?
How about thinking about that instead of what I should do?