Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycle/dispose problems

On 30/09/14 15:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/09/14 14:59, WhinYett wrote:
On 30/09/2014 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/09/14 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many
years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

Can you empty it in a controlled fashion?

If so, try the scrappies again, showing them the valve open.

It has its valve so I guess so. Any hazards?
Frank

Without a regulator, it will come out like billy-o.

The cylinder will get damn cold too whilst it's loosing gas - enough to
burn.

And of course under no circumstances do this in a confined space or in a
hole or depression in the ground of any sort (CO2 being heavier than
air, it will pool).

If you want to make the exercise safer, borrow a regulator and discharge
it through that - more control.

Having said all that, if it were me, I'd get a bottle spanner, wrap the
cylinder in a thick towel to hold it by lying on its side and just tweak
the valve open a tad, making sure the gas jet cannot hit you (it will
get cold fast).

I'd try to get it hissing gently then just leave it outside for as long
as it takes.

Once it's stops hissing, crack the valve open *slowly* just in case
there's some left but it's managed to freeze itself shut (unlikely but
Mr Murphy will always be hanging around on these occasions).

+1 to ALL of that