Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N[_2_] N8N[_2_] is offline

Default Ionization Smoke Detector In Toddler's Room: How Safe ?

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:51:25 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/30/2014 9:36 AM, N8N wrote:

Current code requires smoke detectors to be

installed both inside and outside all sleeping

rooms, plus at least one detector to be installed

on each floor. In new construction they would

also be required to be 120VAC powered with

battery backup in each detector and they are

required to be connected in tandem.

nate

For a two bedroom raised ranch, that adds up to

36 smoke detectors, 5 monoxide detectors, and

3 different power supplies?

Nope... in the situation you describe there would be three detectors for the bedrooms and hallway between them (four if they are separated by a long distance) plus one on the other floor if present. I don't believe CO detectors are required but having at least one isn't a bad idea.

Personally I don't think it's that onerous a requirement, I actually was going to upfit my last house but real life (and the lack of a willing partner to help me pull wire) intervened.

nate