Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Ionization Smoke Detector In Toddler's Room: How Safe ?

On 9/29/2014 9:18 PM, nestork wrote:
'Bob[_44_ Wrote:
;3290187']Hello,

Anyone know of any Links where there is information regarding
how safe an Ionization type of Smoke Detector is in a youngster's room.

Looked, but couldn't really find anything specific.

Thanks,
Bob

---
protection is active.
'AVAST 2014 | Antivirus Gratuit - Télécharger la meilleure protection
anti-malware' (http://www.avast.com)

Bob:

I believe that if there were any risk of radiation damage from the smoke
detector, there would be warning signs on new detectors saying not to
install them in the bedrooms of small children and pregnant women.

However, the smoke detector shouldn't be in the bedroom, it should be
outside the bedroom door, but within 4 feet of the bedroom door when
looking down from space.

That's because, unless the person is a smoker and is in the habit of
smoking in bed, the chances of a fire starting in the bedroom are slim.
So, putting a smoke detector in the bedroom, and then sleeping with the
bedroom door closed is going to prevent that detector from detecting
smoke. By the time it does, your bedroom door is burning and you're
trapped in the bedroom with no escape except the bedroom window, if
there is one.

Better to put the smoke detector outside the bedroom but within 4 feet
of the door. That way if a fire starts in the house at night, the smoke
detector will detect the smoke much earlier, and will still be close
enough to the bedroom to wake up anyone inside.

And, never put a smoke detector closer than 4 inches to the corners
where walls meet ceilings. In a fire, the air in those areas is
relatively stagnant, and the smoke detector in those corner areas will
be slow to detect smoke.

So, I'd move the smoke detector, but not for the reason you were
thinking.

Actually the better way is to put a smoke detector in each
room. That way you have a much better chance of realizing there
is a fire. I don't actually have a detector in each room, I have
one for each ceiling area. The living room, kitchen, and dining
room have a continuous ceiling, so I have just one for all 3 of
them. The kitchen of course is the most likely place for a fire
if there aren't any smokers around.

And don't forget a Carbon Monoxide detector.

Bill