Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking
Grant Edwards Grant Edwards is offline

Default Building a treehouse in the redwood grove of a neighbor (picsincluded)

On 2014-09-29, Danny D. wrote:
Oren wrote, on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:02:48 -0700:

It's an insult to call a Mexican a Spaniard!

I guess it's like calling an Asian an Oriental?

No, that's pretty much correct (if rather dated). "Oriental" literally
means somebody from "the East". Asia is usually defined as "East of
the Urals". Both are somewhat vague terms with meanings that have
changed over the centuries, but Wikipedia says the're pretty much the
equivalent:

The Orient means the East. It is a traditional designation for
anything that belongs to the Eastern world or the Middle East (aka
Near East) or the Far East, in relation to Europe. In English, it is
largely a metonym for, and coterminous with, the Continent of Asia.

Calling a Mexican a Spaniard is like calling somebody from the US
"English" or "British". Rather than being insulted, I think people
are just going to be puzzled over where you've been for the last 250
years.

Who is insulted when I equate Mexico with Spain anyway?
The Mexicans? Or the Spaniards?

Either, both, maybe neither (it probably depends on the crowd).
Regardless of whether it's insulting, it's incorrect.

--
Grant