Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Main cleanout searching

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:33:04 PM UTC-4, Guv Bob wrote:
Welp, I'm still poking and digging around the front and not found the main cleanout yet. Any suggestions or wise cracks would be appreciated.

From the plumbing code and the city sewer dude, it should be either in an outside wall or within 3 feet from the house. If underground, it is supposed to extend to grade. Nothing yet.

There is an "X" mark on the curb 3-ft south of the water meter - this is where the city dude said the main it likely to be. Straight line from there to the house is an obvious place, but no cleanout that I could find.

About 15 feet north of the meter is a brass tag fastened to the curb engraved with LS and a number. A line from there to the house would run straight into the garage. Thru the garage are both bathrooms and drain in garage.. No cleanouts on the outside wall or the wall between garage and house.

Will call the city Monday and ask if that could be it. Either way, I'm going to take a trip to the city and see what kind of plans they have for this house. Been wanting to do this for a long time.

For info, here's the Calif Plumbing Code Chapter 7 - Drainage.

707 is cleanouts...

http://www.iapmo.org/California%20Pl...apter%2007.pdf

If the pipe or lid of the cleanout are metal, you should be able to find it with a metal detector. If it's all clay, that won't work.