Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wayne Chirnside[_3_] Wayne Chirnside[_3_] is offline

Default Toshiba D-VR610 DVD/VCR Combo always ejects

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 17:12:25 -0700, jeffreyscottarnold wrote:

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back.
Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to
dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the
tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's
a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes,
but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring
the format forever. Thanks.

My take on that is a friction pad, just a piece of felt often glued to a
copper spindle brake wrapped around the spindle.

At least that's what I've most often seen with that symptom.

A bit of felt glued back inside the brake will fix it easily in most
cases.

OTOH you say it's a combo TV -VCR and those a royal PITA to take apart
and put back together, so much so I refuse to work on any combos myself.
YMMV