Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kluber Grease vs Moly Kote BG20

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to reassemble a quill spindle, and I have two choice for
grease. The guy who sent me the spindle sent me a small film canister of
"Kluber" grease. He said it was the cat's meow for spindle bearings, but
I can't really tell exactly what it is since he sent it in generic film
canister. 1`

I also have most of a squeeze tube of MolyKote BG-20 left over from when I
regreased the Yuasa speeder I picked up. Its rated for high speed, high
load, and high heat. It is some pretty decent looking stuff on paper, and
I know exactly what it is as its in the original factory packaging. I've
got enough in the tube to lube dozens of bearings. My instinct is to
pitch the film canister and use the MolyKote, but I was wondering if there
was any inherent problem with using this stuff in a "normal speed"
application. 96-3600 RPM. Loads upto about 3 horsepower before VFD
programming trips an error.

Kluber nbu15 is the one that's specifically desired for machine tool spindle
bearings, I seriously doubt that it's something else in the cannister, and I
suggest that you should use it.

The usual procedure is to use a syringe to figure out how much it takes to
completely fill the space between one set of balls, multiply that amount by
the number of balls and then divide it by three to arrive at your total
volume. Or in other words you want to fill 1/3 of the space between each
ball with grease.

Do not do this in your shop, kitchen table is probably a lot better or at
the very least make sure that there are no drafts and that nobody has been
doing stupid **** like blasting compressed air around or anything like that
for an hour or so before you get started, newsprint is probably okay to work
on okay but plastic sheet is better, work quickly to fill the bearings and
spread the grease around and then immediately put them into plastic sandwich
bags and seal until you're ready to do the actual install.

I took apart an impact driver last night and the amount of junk that
started to stick to the grease was fairy alarming. I think I'm going to
have to clean all the grease out and start fresh. Ugh.