Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Confused on using tandem breaker in Murray 200A/ 40 ckt panel

In ,
Mikepier typed:
typed:
Unfortunately that panel label seems to preclude your tandem breaker.

The type "MT" (tandem) is not on the list of approved breaker types.

It probably won't burn your house down but it is not legal.

That would appear to be the case. Ok no big deal. I actually used a
twin breaker to re-arrange some breakers in my panel to accommodate
putting a 30A backfed generator inlet on the top right.

I actually have plenty of spaces left in my panel, but one of the 15A
circuits in the panel would not reach to the new spot of the breaker,
so to avoid extending it with another wire and wire nut, I just used
a twin.

Interesting thread. I never knew that there technically could be a legal or
other issue when using a tandem breaker in a panel. I just assumed that if
it fit in the slot and it worked, it was okay to use.

But, since you have plenty of extra spaces, and you can put in a regular
breaker by just using a wire nut inside the panel extending the existing
wire, I think that I would have chosen that option rather than buying and
putting in a tandem breaker. That would eliminate the whole question or
issue of whether using a tandem breaker in that panel is proper or legal
etc.