Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Was chain sawing a dead Monterey Pine today & had a few basicquestions

Danny D. wrote, on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:38:46 +0000:

Googling to make sense out of all this, and, remember, I had trusted the
Home Depot people and they steered me to the 62-link chain, I find this,
which I'm reading (I'm on hold with Oregon (aka Blont) right now.)
http://www.oregonproducts.com/homeow...o_consumer.htm

Oh my! The plot thickens.

I had a nice conversation with a technical support lady at "Blont
International" (parent company of "Oregon"), who informed me that I
bought the *wrong* chains from Lowes, even though the specs are the same!

She told me that the Oregon H72 chain that I had bought fits a "standard"
bar, while the Husky 445 chainsaw comes with a "micro-lite" bar (that's
Oregon's brand name for it anyway) which takes a Husqvarna H30 chain,
which converts to an Oregon G72 chain.

She said all the dimensions are the same except the "body of the chain
has a narrower curve cutter which takes a smaller bite, needing less
power to turn".

She said that, over time, the Oregon H72 will wear the micro-lite bar
groove, whereas the Oregon G72 chain will fit.

I understood everything she said, but, she couldn't explain how, if only
the *outside* part of the chain (i.e., the "cutter") is larger, then
*how* is that going to wear the *groove* in the bar???

Anyway, when I asked her to fix her packaging, we went over what the
package *should* say, so as not to lead the *next* person astray.

Since one asterisk was already used (but not on the 445), we came up with
either of these two expressions for marketing to mull over:

Fits Husqvarna 445**
1. ** ensure your model has a standard bar
or
2. ** ensure your model does not have a micro-lite bar

When I asked her which store sells the right Oregon G72 chain, we found
none in my general vicinity; so, when I asked her to replace my chain for
me, she agreed, and I will send my used chain to:
Blont International, attn: (her name)
4909 International Way, Milwaukee Oregon, 97222 (800-223-5168)

In summary, it's very confusing that the Oregon package says *nothing*
about the Oregon H72 *not* fitting a micro-lite bar, and the Husqvarna
owners manual says nothing about the chain *having* a micro-lite bar!

The one question she didn't answer was *how* can a chain with essentially
the same dimensions (except for the cutting edge thickness) *damage* the
thinner grooved micro-lite bar?