Posted to sci.electronics.repair
chuck chuck is offline

Default Toshiba D-VR610 DVD/VCR Combo always ejects

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 17:12:25 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back. Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes, but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring the format forever. Thanks.

This unit has the worst vcr mechanism I have ever seen. The gear
drive that turns the take up hub and the braking system are so poorly
designed that it is amazing that they work at all. My suggestion is
to find an older vcr to play the tapes and run video and audio cables
to a DVD recorder.